Monday, June 8, 2020

Crimes of the South African Police Service


Hijacked, kidnapped, robbed by police – resident
Sechaba Machabe | 7 November 2013
These are the words of a 40-year-old Kensington resident, who did not want his name published, after his traumatic ordeal on Langermann Drive on November 1.
The businessman and father of four was allegedly stopped by members of the Johannesburg Flying Squad while driving home from work.
“When I was stopped I thought it was just a routine check, or maybe I had transgressed a traffic law,” said the resident. He said the police officers, in a marked police vehicle, instructed him to stop by sounding the vehicle’s siren. The man stopped his vehicle and the officers, a man and a woman, approached his car.
“The male officers asked to see my licence. I handed it to him. He then told me I was wanted in connection with a robbery in Sandton,” said the resident.
The man was handcuffed, put into the police vehicle and told he was being taken to the Sandton SAPS. “As I was being handcuffed, I noticed a man who looked familiar jump out of the police vehicle. He then walked away,” said the resident.
The female officer climbed into the resident’s vehicle and followed them. She dropped the vehicle off in Parktown and then returned to the police vehicle.
“When we arrived at the station I was not taken inside. I was left in the car in the parking lot behind the station. The male officer went inside the station. He came back and said his superior had instructed him to search my house,” said the resident. The officers apparently drove to the man’s house.
“When we arrived, my wife and children were still awake. The police officers searched the house. They took my son’s tablet device and R15 000. They said the money and tablet were stolen,” said the resident.
The police officers went upstairs where they found some of the goods the man sells. “They put the linen I sell into a bag with the other things they took,” said the resident.
The man was then put back into the police vehicle. “As they drove off, I noticed they were driving past the Jeppe SAPS and Yeoville. They headed towards town,” said the resident. He claims he was denied his right to make a phone call to his wife or lawyer. After driving around with him for a while, they decided to ‘negotiate’ with him.
“They said if I left my goods with them, they would guarantee it gets to their superior and they would share the money among themselves and let me go,” said the resident.
He was driven to his car, handed his car keys and driver’s licence and told to go.
“I then called a friend and went to the Cleveland SAPS to open a case. This was at 4am. The ordeal started at around 8pm,” said the resident.
Read entire article.......