Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Crimes of the South African Police Service

TOP POLICE INVOLVED IN ALLEGED ASSAULT DRAMA


By Victor Boqo
Photo : Victor Boqo
2012-07-27 00:00
Stephen Phoko, still recovering from his injuries after the alleged assault. Insert: Top police official, Lt. Gen. William Mpembe.

The police’s integrity might be dragged through the mud by some of North West’s top police officials who were involved in the assault of a traffic officer.

The assault drama of a traffic officer, which happened in Mahikeng, even attracted the national media as the news appeared in the Sunday World newspaper.

Mr Stephen Phoko (31), a Mahikeng local municipal traffic officer, regrets the day of 5 July when he went into a Total garage store to buy an electricity coupon. He claimed that he was assaulted in front of the provincial Police Deputy Commissioner, Lt. Gen. William Mpembe, by Mpembe’s bodyguard, Capt. Wessie Engelbrecht.

Phoko is still recovering from his broken leg and dislocated shoulder.
His nightmare begun when he parked in the garage’s parking lot at about 22:00 after he finished his shift.

 “I was busy sending the electrical coupon voucher number via SMS while sitting inside my car with my friend. Another car parked next to me on my left hand side.

  “I just heard a bump on the left side of the passenger door and ignored it. Then I heard another loud bump at the rear door. I opened the window and see if my car showed any dents.” The passenger of the other car then said to him that if his car has any damage he must get a quote and he   will pay for the damages. 

  After telling him that his car was fine, Phoko realised that the driver was a police Capt. who was in uniform and his passenger who accompanied him was not in police uniform. 

  Phoko stated that the passenger asked him if he knew who he was. “I then answered that I don’t care who he is, all I care was to see if my car was alright. That’s were all hell broke loose.

  “Mpembe banged my car with his hands, on the passenger door and then the bonnet. After realising that the matter was  getting out of hand, I went to my car. Mpembe, shouted and screamed and instructed Engelbrecht to arrest me.
  “He dragged me out of my car through the passenger window and grabbed me by the shoulders. He hit and kicked me until I fell to the floor. I asked them what are they arresting me for? Drunken driving they stated. 

  I told them I have not been drinking as I just came from work and my friend, who was still inside  my car, was the one who was having a beer.”
Capt. Engelbrecht then left Phoko in the parking lot in a lot of pain. “The embarrassment of being handled like a criminal is upsetting.”
  “Suddenly police vans arrived in numbers and they didn’t even bother to call an ambulance. One of the bystanders called an ER24 ambulance with his cellphone”,Phoko said.
  Phoko was admitted to Mahikeng Provincial hospital for two days. An assault case was opened at Mahikeng police station.

  Phoko’s  friend just sat in the car and witnessed everything. He was too afraid to help as he is working in a senior government position and knows Mpembe very well.
  Brig. Thulani Ngubane, provincial police spokesperson confirmed that the incident happened but denies that Mpembe instructed Engelbrecht to assault Phoko. Instead he stated that Mpembe was insulted and threatened by Phoko and this is what spurred Engelbrecht on to attempt an arrest. 

  It is stated that he never beaten nor assaulted Phoko. “Everything is recorded on the garage’s video surveilance camera. People should not make unfounded allegations and they should allow the investigations of the IPID (Independent Police Investigative Directorate) to conclude their findings.
  “It is not in the character of Mpembe to act like this but people have a love and appetite for news headlines when there are no facts.”

  The portfolio committee of public safety’s chairperson, Mr Mahlakeng Mahlakeng, condemned the alleged assault in the strongest possible terms and stated that, “as the committee, we will not allow any police officer to assault anybody. And this matter is of a big concern to us as North West’s police brutality statistics are very high. We are awaiting the IPID’s investigations and at this stage we can’t comment any further.” 

  Mahlakeng confirmed that Mpembe appeared before the committee and he was also questioned about Phoko’s assault which he denied.

  Mr Moses Dlamini, IPID national spokesperson, says, “The investigation regarding the alleged assault of Phoko is at an advanced stage but it has not been completed”.
  No one has been arrested or suspended (the IPID does not deal with suspensions, which are disciplinary matters).

  Once the investigation is concluded, the docket will be taken to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for a decision on whether to prosecute or not. 
  If the decision of the DPP is to prosecute, the suspect(s) will go on trial after which the court will pronounce its judgement and pass an appropriate sentence.
  “All I want is for justice to take its course. Nobody is above the law as I’m still haunted by that fateful night. I can’t walk, sleep nor work due to injuries,” Phoko said.