Monday, May 13, 2013

Crimes of the South African Police Service



Police never investigated my case – angry dad
May 17 2012 at 09:00am



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Botho Molosankwe

botho.molosankwe@inl.co.za

Thirteen years ago, Mbongiseni Magagula was shot in the leg, allegedly by a police officer. In matric at the time, he failed his end-of-year exams. He also could no longer play soccer, his favourite sport. He spent three months in hospital.

His dreams of being a police officer also diminished in front of his eyes. One leg is now shorter that the other and he cannot stand for longer than an hour, so what chance did he stand of chasing after criminals?

He has approached the police, the courts and the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid). But Magagula is yet to get help.

All the doors have been shut in his face and his matter seems to be forever buried.

“Maybe it is because it happened in the rural areas. But I blame the police. They never investigated this matter because they wanted to protect their colleague.

“I don’t even know the person who shot me, but I have to live with what they did to me. I had dreams but never realised them,” the 32-year-old man said.

On the day he was shot, Magagula and his fellow Dwaleni High School pupils had gathered at the Pongola magistrate’s court in KwaZulu-Natal. They were there for the appearance of a man accused of raping and killing their 13-year-old schoolmate.

After the court appearance, the accused was driven out of court in a police car. As the school- children chased after the police car, Magagula felt something hit him on the leg.

“While others were shot with rubber bullets, I was shot with a live round,” he recalled.

Magagula said he spent months in hospital.

Officers took his statement from his hospital bed. He wore a leg brace for six months.

“I failed my matric miserably. I could not repeat because my younger brother and I were being cared for by my grandmother. She would not be able to support me again.

“When I enquired from the police about my case, they kept saying they were investigating,” he said.

With one bad leg, Magagula headed to Joburg. He lived with his uncle but could not find a job that would accommodate his injury.

Then, in 2004, he came across a newspaper article about the Ipid. He went to their offices immediately and asked them to investigate his matter.

However, when the Ipid contacted him after their investigations, they informed him that the prosecutor had declined to proceed with the case.

Colonel David Herbs, station commander of the Pongola police station, said an attempted murder case had been opened, investigated but no one charged.

The prosecutor, he said, haddeclined to prosecute in May 2000.

Magagula contacted the Ipid again in April this year, desperate for answers which he believes will help him get closure.

Asked whether the Ipid would look into the matter again, spokesman Moses Dlamini said they did not have a mandate over the decisions of a prosecutor and could not get involved.

While Herbs had said the case opened was of attempted murder, Dlamini said what they had before them was a case of assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm.

“I don’t see any cover up because it went to the prosecution.

“If it had not been investigated at all, then we would have possibly looked at it,” Dlamini said.

He advised that Magagula contact the Director of Public Prosecutions or the National Prosecuting Authority for assistance.