Sunday, June 22, 2014

Crimes of the South African Police Service

No trust in Cape Town’s police system
March 10 2014
Last week, police officers stripped and beat a Nigerian man in the Cape Town CBD. The video went viral, erupting a new wave of controversy around police brutality.
How do Capetonians feel about their protectors? RA’EESA PATHER reports.

Rochelle Pietersen, Kensington
I’ve never had a situation where I had to go to the station, but they could be better. I don’t trust them, because of all the stuff that’s just happened. That guy that got beaten and assaulted in the CBD… Hell, no, I don’t trust the police. I thought it was ridiculous regardless of whatever he did. It was wrong. That is actually public indecency, what they did to that guy. You actually get arrested for that, and they did it. People say they are like gangsters in uniform, and that’s what they are. The way that they address us when they are in uniform, like they are superior to us… They have that attitude.