Saturday, April 14, 2012

Crimes of the South African Police Service

Cops ‘rob disabled man’

The Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) is investigating the case of a physically handicapped man who was allegedly robbed and assaulted by JMPD members last weekend.
14 December 2011 | PRIYA RANCHOD

JOHANNESBURG - The Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) is investigating the case of a physically handicapped man who was allegedly robbed and assaulted by JMPD members last weekend.

According to Mohamed Salim Issa, 52, he was robbed after he received a R1 500 donation from a well wisher.

“On Sunday I arrived at Witkoppen Road at 9am. Someone gave me R1 500 for Christmas. At 10am I saw people running.
“I couldn’t run as fast as the others because I have only one leg,” the Homeless Talk vendor explained to The Citizen yesterday.
Issa described how Metro police officers ran after him, kicking him to the ground.
They then took his crutches and takkies. A man who saw the incident recorded it on his cellphone.

“I got up and as I hopped across the road, they (Metro officers) caught me again, constantly kicking me and they said to me, go back to your country.
You are a foreigner and you have no money in South Africa,” Issa explained, adding that the officers swore at him and told him to “f**k off from SA”.
Issa said he believes that he was targeted because the officers saw that he had money in his Homeless Talk bib.

“I pleaded for them to return my money, but my efforts were in vain.
“They only returned my shoes and crutches and left me helpless.”
Despite his attempts to open a case of robbery at the Douglasdale police station, he was sent to Diepkloof, where he was told he could not open a case as it was a JPMD matter.

A witness who asked to remain anonymous described the horrific attack.
“He is here trying to make a living.

How can the JMPD do this?” the man told The Citizen.

Issa is now back at the same spot, selling the Homeless Talk newspaper.
Meanwhile, the JMPD say they are investigating the incident.
“Internal affairs are busy investigating the allegations made.
The complainant has given his statement to the investigating officer and he was advised to open a criminal case,” JMPD spokesman Edna Mamonyane said.

– priyar@citizen.co.za
http://www.citizen.co.za/citizen/content/en/citizen/local-news?oid=246732&sn=Detail&pid=334&Cops-%E2%80%98rob-disabled-man%E2%80%99