Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Crimes of the South African Police Service

Pastor assaulted by police, other pastors after church
21 March 2012 | Nyambeni Mandiwana

null
Not rated yet.
POLOKWANE -  A  Living Word Church pastor, Desmond Nong  is recovering at his Matlala home after he was assaulted by two  pastors and a policeman last Tuesday.

The assault happened a few minutes after the congregation left  the church.
According to Nong  the pastors   and a third stranger accused him of stealing their church’s  sound system speaker.

 “When I asked them to give me a chance to show them the receipts for our church’s sound system, they  assaulted  me. The stranger  introduced himself as a police officer from the Matlala SAPF and pointed a gun  at me while   one of the pastors   handcuffed me. I was then forced   into the back of an unmarked van.

"Some residents    witnessed the incident and  surrounded the van but  the pastors   drove away in one of the pastors’  car. The  police officer ran away on foot.  I was taken to the Knobel Hospital for treatment.”

 Nong said when he tried to  open a case of assault at the Matlala SAPF, he was charged and arrested for    housebreaking and theft as one of the pastors had opened a case against him on    March 2.

"They  also arrested my grandmother  and charged her with malicious damage to property.  The police didn’t arrest the pastors and officer  even though  I opened a case against them,” he said.

Nong   appeared in the Matlala magistrate’s court and faced a charge of theft.
He was released on R1 000 bail.

 Lt Mohale Ramatseba said  the Matlala SAPF will be investigated for  not    arresting  the  pastors and  police officer who assaulted Nong.