Thursday, June 6, 2013

Crimes of the South African Police Service

Man claims police bullied him
Daniël Pheme claims he was bullied by police officers and unlawfully arrested at the city’s game reserve on Tuesday afternoon.


Daniël Pheme was arrested at the Polokwane Game ...show more Reserve on Tuesday as he was picking up his belongings from a party held over the weekend. He said he was bullied by police officers. ...show less
07 June 2012 | Maretha Swanepoel

POLOKWANE - Daniël Pheme claims he was bullied by police officers and unlawfully arrested at the city’s game reserve on Tuesday afternoon.
 Pheme, who hosted a private party at the reserve’s facilities over the weekend, returned this week to pick up his belongings and equipment.
 "On Monday afternoon, they indicated  that they were closing, so I could only take one load," Pheme says.
On Tuesday, he returned for the rest of his goods when he found the chalets locked.
"They told me they wanted to evaluate the damage to the chalets."
Pheme admits damage was caused, but adds the reserve had kept his deposits as  payment for the damages,  "I have the receipts to prove this is the case".
Game reserve staff  closed the gates,  preventing him from leaving.
 "I said I wanted to go to the police station to report a case as they refused to return my belongings."
He believes a phone call was made by game reserve staff, as traffic department officials arrived to tow away his vehicle.
"The lady at reception said there were  some pots   missing,  but the security guards  searched my bakkie and found nothing."
His vehicle was in the meantime towed away.
"As I was taking photos of the incident, a police officer told me to stop doing so, and started beating me."
  "He  tackled me for my phone, which fell on the ground.  One of the security guards picked it up and gave it to the police, who then deleted the photos."
He was handcuffed and taken to the police station, he says, where he heard for the first time that he was charged with  malicious damage to property and crimen injuria.
Pheme claims the police assisted him in retrieving his vehicle, "after  the traffic department told me I had to pay R500".
 The police’s WO Lesedi Ramashaba was not aware of the incident,  but said  Pheme has the right to report the matter.
Pheme will appear in the district court on July 17.