Thursday, March 23, 2017

Crimes of the South African Police Service

Unprofessional treatment from police officers at Eden Park SAPS
I want to express my unhappiness with the unprofessional treatment, remarks and service I received from a police officer and a trainee on May 18.
May 30, 2015

EDEN PARK – I needed to certify documents for a job application and thought I would do so before I went to pick up my child from school.
I was with my cousin and we stood in the queue, as expected of us. The time went by and I noticed that it was time to pick up my daughter from school. My cousin went to pick her up while I stood in the queue waiting for our turn.
When I reached the front, I put down two sets of documents to be certified. When it came to my cousin’s documents, he refused to certify them and said that I must go back to the end of the queue.
I objected, explaining that we both were in the queue and she had to collect my daughter from school.
He then informed me that they can only certify 10 documents. I asked him if there was a notice to the public to inform us of this practise, since this was the first time I heard of this.
He started getting emotional and angry, and told me that he was not going to sign the documents and I must go to somebody else. When I refused, he took my documents and threw it to the other side of the desk. He also used vulgar language, in his home language, which I could understand. These vulgar words were directed at me. I felt violated and discriminated against when he humiliated me in front of everyone in the station.
As I was leaving, unhappy, I looked to the trainee for some assistance. He also became rude and said that I must just leave as he is not going to help me.
My question is why are they police officers if they are unwilling to help the public?
I did go to see the station commander, who instructed me to write a letter explaining my grievances, and so I did.
Natasha White
*Captain Mhlophe from Eden Park SAPS has confirmed that they are aware of the incident and that they will be investigating the matter.