Sunday, July 8, 2012

Crimes of the South African Police Service

Official speaks out over police ‘brutality’
 Mar 29 2012 8:18AM
Michael Appel

Correctional services official Wimpie Müller yesterday spoke out about the brutality and victimisation he claims he suffered at the hands of police officers, who showed scant regard for the law when, according to him, they assaulted him on his Boekenhoutskloof smallholding near Cullinan, east of Pretoria.

Müller told The New Age that the alleged assault took place at about 8am on March 19. “A casual worker, Max, who I had dismissed, arrived at my door demanding to have his possessions,” he said.

“I told him he was welcome to come back a little later when I had a witness present. He started screaming at me and when I stepped outside my house, I saw two police officers.

“I asked them what they were doing on my property and for them to identify themselves, but they ignored me. When I tried to question them further, one cop grabbed me around the throat. This is when my bull terrier approached the officer, who then fired a shot at the dog.”

According to Muller, as he tried to wrestle free from the hands around his neck, he was booted in the back and fell to the ground, where he was repeatedly kicked in the back and head by both officers and Max. As Müller was being strangled, Max shouted to the officers to “Kill him, kill him”.

Müller tried to calm the situation and said he would accompany them to the Kameelfontein police station after he got dressed, but when he went outside again, the police officers, along with Max, were gone.

The injured Müller went to the police station to lay a charge of assault against the officers but bumped into them as he was walking into the station.

“They threw me into a holding cell. I was not read my rights, not informed of the charges against me and they refused to take my statement.”

Upon realising that Müller’s residential address fell outside their jurisdiction, Müller says the officers promptly loaded him into a police van and sped off to Cullinan, where he was again placed in a holding cell and denied access to a toilet and medical assistance for about an hour.

Müller eventually found out that the charge against him was for allegedly giving his personal firearm to Max on the evening of September 17, 2011, so he could kill himself with it. Muller denies the allegation.

Müller’s attorney, Heinrich Kruger, told The New Age the charge against his client is rather puzzling and that both his and his client’s treatment at the hands of police would not go unchallenged.

On March 19 Kruger was able to successfully lodge an urgent application with the Pretoria High Court to have Müller released after his unlawful arrest, and for him to receive medical attention.

Kruger said: “The case came before the Cullinan Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday but was postponed to April 25 for further investigation. We are contemplating our own civil suit against the police.”

Gauteng police spokesperson Lt-Col Lungelo Dlamini said: “My advice is that the man must lay a charge of assault against these two police officers, at any station. Once a case has been opened, we will investigate.” The New Age is in possession of the names of the police officers as well as the registration of their official vehicle.

michaela@thenewage.co.za
http://www.thenewage.co.za/47469-1007-53-Official_speaks_out_over_police_brutality