Sunday, July 8, 2012

Crimes of the South African Police Service

Suspects on camera but SAPS not interested
My 13-year-old daughter was pickpocketed inside a store at Eastgate at the weekend and her cellphone was stolen. Security apprehended two ladies who were seen on camera leaving the store.
18 June 2012 | GEORGE of Johannesburg
null
Current rating: 5 from 1 votes.
Thieving Eastgate pickpockets had to be released  due to SAPS bureaucracy, writes GEORGE  of Johannesburg.
We waited at Eastgate security offices for the SAPS to arrive but it took a while and I could not wait for the SAPS to arrive.
The security manager suggested that I go to the Bedfordview SAPS to lay a charge because they could not detain the suspects for more than three  hours without a formal charge being laid.
When I got to the Bedfordview SAPS, I was told that I could not lay a charge without an ITC and an IMEI number for the cellphone.
I got the IMEI number and was told that the ITC number would be provided within 24 hours because it was on a Sunday and they had to process the details, which could not be done immediately.
 The SAPS refused to allow me to lay a charge without the ITC number and despite me arguing the fact that the suspects  were caught on camera,  the policewoman was not interested.
I then left and the two suspects had to be released.
This casual and uncaring attitude of the SAPS is extremely frustrating.
What happened to crime prevention and public service?  A definite thumbs-up for Eastgate security, who were fast and effective.
Pity I can’t say that about our SAPS.
http://www.citizen.co.za/citizen/content/en/citizen/letters?oid=287048&sn=Detail&pid=146826&Suspects-on-camera-but-SAPS-not-interested