Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Crimes of the South African Police Service


Black Cops threaten White Policewoman – “Your time is short”

2013-03-23 - Rapport newspaper's journalist Vania van der Heever writes that Afrikaner SAPS warrant-officer Jennifer Renecke 37 fears for her life after she tried to intervene to stop four black constables allegedly beating up an arrested man, Jackie Ntuli 33 of Soshanguve, at the Wierdabrug police station in Centurion last Friday-night.
"I fear for my life. They can come for me at any moment,' she told Rapport Afrikaans weekly. She said that last Friday-day night she saw four police members bring in the arrested 'drunken' man and beating him up at the Wierdabrug police station office. She jumped in trying to stop the man, Jackie Ntuli 33 of Soshanguve, from being beaten further.
"Your time is short in this office bitch, if you open your mouth you will die,' she later read in a hand-written letter in English she received afterwards. She's been in the SAPS for the past 20 years but now is too terrified to go back to work. She has lodged a charge of intimidation against the four constables. "There's a tense atmosphere at my job because of my complaint. We work with firearms and I fear my colleagues can use one at any time against me,' she said. She's too terrified to go to sleep and has taken leave due to fear and stress.
"We work with firearms and I fear my colleagues can use one at any time against me.'... " Wierdabrug SAPS commander claims the CCTV did not work...'
She was quoted as saying: "I swore an oath to protect the public. The police has stolen so much of my life but I kept going because I love my work. This is the thanks I get after 20 years of faithful service,' she said. 

Every time she closes her eyes, she can hear the screams from Ntuli while he was being beaten up. "After he was taken to the hospital I climbed into my car and just sat and cried. I know the police will come for me. They will try and blacken my name to downgrade my evidence. But this time I will refuse to remain silent. I have told the station commander to look at the closed-circuit TV recordings from the charge office so that he can see Ntuli being assaulted. He told me the 'CCTV does not work'...
Wierdabrug commander SAPS col Moses Ndladla refuses to comment - but the office's spokesman SAPS capt Agnes Huma confirmed that Renecke had lodged formal charges against her four colleagues. 

Meanwhile Rapport 's journalist also traced the arrested man, Ntuli, to the Pretoria Central Prison - neither his dad Jacob Madisha 63 nor any other member of the family were able to locate him. After Ntuli had appeared in court last Tuesday on remand, he was taken to the Pretoria prison because he could not afford his bail. His family was never notified by the SAPS at Wierdabridge as they should have done, Rapport noted. 

Mr Madisha was delighted that the newspaper traced his son. "I thought my child was dead. The police said they had no record of my son at all,' he told Rapport. He went to the Wierdabrug policestation just a day earlier to enquire about his son's whereabouts. Ntuli has now also lodged a charge of assault against the  four police constables. "They will investigate Mr Ntuli's case,'  said Moses Dlamini, spokesman for the independent police investigation directorate'.

http://censorbugbear-reports.blogspot.com/search/label/police%20brutality