Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Crimes of the South African Police Service


SAPS vehicle hits car
A police van from Mondeor carrying prisoners being taken to court, collided into a car side-on, on Kliprivier Drive, at 07:55 on Wednesday February 13.
13 February 2013 | Julie Maule
null
Not rated yet.
The car, a Toyota RunX, came off the Kliprivier off-ramp from the N12 highway. The driver said, "I saw the traffic lights weren’t working and the intersection was being treated as a four-way stop. I stopped and looked and then proceeded across the road. I saw a police van coming at me and  before I knew it, I was hit on  my side of the car. My car was pushed over onto the grass verge," said the driver, who was visibly shocked.

The SAPS vehicle hit the RunX on the side and pushed the carver onto the grass verge.
According to an eye witness, Renata Erasmus, who was travelling on the same  road as the police van, "As I was approaching the traffic lights they were flickering on and off red and suddenly turned to green. I saw the car driving over the intersection so stopped but the police van carried straight on over the intersection, hitting the car side-on. The police van was travelling  more than 60km/h and if the driver hadn’t been going so fast he could have swerved and avoided the car.
"I spoke to the policeman who was driving and told him he was going too fast. His answer was, ‘Yes but I’m taking prisoners to court.’ I went over to see how the driver of the car was and made sure she was fine. She was shocked but didn’t seem to have any serious injuries."

SAPS members take a statement from the driver of the car.
Emergency vehicles attended the scene and it’s alleged two of the prisoners had slight injuries and were taken to a nearby hospital.
The CHRONICLE has contacted Mondeor SAPS spokesperson for comment and is awaiting a reply.