Thursday, March 20, 2014

Crimes of the South African Police Service

Man in wheelchair after cop assault
2011-05-25 09:29

Hendrik Grobler recounts how he was beaten by police, despite his pleas that he was in a back brace following surgery. (Theana Breugem, Beeld)
Hilda Fourie, Beeld
Pretoria - A man who says he was assaulted by police now has to use a wheelchair and fears he may have to live like this for the rest of his life.

Hendrik Grobler, 35, was still recovering from a back operation when a policeman stepped on his back at a fuel station in Gezina in Pretoria Moot on April 21. Beeld reported on the incident on May 2.

The policeman and his colleagues were caught on CCTV cameras as they assaulted Grobler and his friend, Theuns Potgieter, 33 - apparently because Potgieter was carrying his firearm but not his firearm licence.

Back brace

Grobler was wearing a back brace at the time of the assault, following a back operation ten weeks previously.

"I told the policeman twice that I couldn’t get down on the ground because I had had a back operation. I showed him the back brace,” Grobler said on Tuesday.

"The policeman pointed his firearm at me and said he would shoot me if I didn’t go down on the ground.

"He hit me, stepped on me and pushed me to the ground.

"Another policeman came and stepped on me. A third policeman came to me and turned me over. Then it was over. The pain started and has never stopped since then.”

Grobler lay there for 45 minutes before someone helped him up.

Unable to use right leg

Since the incident, his right leg has become weaker and he is unable to walk on it.

"The doctor said nerves and soft tissue were hurt. He said it was something that could take ten days to 20 years to recover.

"Since then I’ve been in the wheelchair. My right leg won’t move. It has no strength.

"If I try to put pressure on it, the pain is unbearable.”

Grobler has been unable to keep up his work as boilermaker.

His wife, Estie, 33, who is seven months pregnant, has to help him shower, after which he has to lie down in bed again because the pain is too much when he moves. Due to the wheelchair he is unable to move around in his house.

"I lost everything because of my back. Now I have lost the use of my legs as well, due to the police.”

Independent Complaints Directorate (ICD) spokesperson Moses Dlamini said the ICD had not yet investigated the matter because they would only take over the investigation from the police on Wednesday.

Beeld