Saturday, June 13, 2015

Crimes of the South African Police Service

South African police accused of routinely torturing crime suspects
Arrested men say how they experienced police brutality from beatings to suffocation used to extract confessions

Carolyn Raphaely in Johannesburg for the Wits Justice Project

Sunday 14 April 2013 15.38 BSTLast modified on Thursday 6 November 2014 21.30 GMT
The Bloemfontein tourist centre is a neat, red building overlooking the bus terminal and the football stadium. For visitors to the city it's a fountain of information and advice, but taxi driver William Dube says that for him the innocuous-looking building will always be associated with his torture at the hands of the police.

Dube, a 33-year-old from Pretoria, is awaiting trial in Bloemfontein's Grootvlei prison after being arrested in 2010 on armed robbery charges, by officers of South Africa's organised crime unit. Two weeks later, he says he was taken to an unmarked suite of offices in the tourist centre, where the officers cuffed him to a chair.
"They attached wires to my penis and back from something that looked like an old phone," he said. "Then they wound it up to get power to shock me. It was very, very painful. I even wet myself."

Dube said the officers covered his head with a plastic bag and sealed it with duct tape. "They only remove the plastic when you collapse, then they take it off. While they were suffocating me, they put pepper spray inside the plastic bag and sealed it. They kicked and punched me in the eye and ear. I still can't hear properly."

He says he was taken to the balcony and hung upside down over the edge, an officer holding each leg. That is when he agreed to co-operate with the investigation.

"I was terrified they'd drop me," Dube said. "They told me places to point out, how to make a confession and what to say. I did the pointing out the next day."

Read more……