Sunday, August 17, 2014

Crimes of the South African Police Service

Woman claims police torture
Mpumalanga
Apr 18 2013 8:24AM

FrANCE NYAKA

A “jealous” woman who “tried to frame” a boyfriend by laying a rape charge after she found him in bed with his lover, claims she was tortured by KwaMhlanga police with electric shocks and they fondled her breasts.

BathabileMadisa, 35, of Mandela village near KwaMhlanga, has accused the KwaMhlanga police of torturing her in the early hours of Monday.

A distressed Madisa, who confessed to The New Age she was framing the boyfriend so he could be arrested, said she had a fight with him over a woman in his bedroom.

Madisa claimed on the way to the police station she was confronted by a police double cab van with five policemen and their female colleague.

She claimed the police then questioned her about her destination as it was at about 3am and she responded by saying she wanted to lay a rape charge. The police then, took her to the boyfriend’s home at the nearby Zakheni village where it was discovered she was not raped, she said.

They then allegedly drove with her outside the village where she claimed she was tortured with electric shocks, abandoned and threatened with arrest if she laid a charge against them.

“Three policemen assaulted and shocked me saying I wasted their time and state fuel because I lied to them. I wanted to frame my boyfriend so that he could be swiftly arrested because he attacked me,” Madisa said.

“I feel that the policemen have ill-treated me by fondling my breasts, buttocks and other parts of my body without my consent. I am now scared of laying charges against them as they promised to arrest me,” Madisha said.

KwaMhlanga police spokesperson Sgt Zimkhona Mahlangu asked the alleged victim to approach the station commander Col Peter Masango.

“We appeal to the woman to report the incident to our commander so that it can be investigated instead of first reporting it to the media.”

provinces@thenewage.co.za