Saturday, February 2, 2013

Crimes of the South African Police Service



It’s a sad indictment of a country’s police force that a father feels obliged to explain to his 12-year-old daughter ‘that, if she were ever in trouble, she must not call the police’.

The child’s mother is the latest in a growing list of victims of police criminality. The woman, who ironically had moved to the Garden Route seeking a safer life, allegedly was raped by a uniformed police officer in a Knysna police vehicle.
The woman told The Times she had been at Pledge Square on Saturday night celebrating her 32nd birthday with her partner and friends.

"I had a little spat with my sister and decided to go outside for some fresh air," she said.

"I was walking on Knysna's main road at about 11pm when a police car came up behind me. The driver rolled down his window and asked me if I was okay and
where I was going. ...