Saturday, February 2, 2013

Crimes of the South African Police Service



A 36-year-old mother has described her ordeal after she was pulled over in Johannesburg by metro cops, assaulted, and locked in a police holding cell where "I was asked my age by two different officers who then started to flirt with me, saying that I was just the right age for them …

"… I was also asked why I had one child and then told that I was a selfish mother. I was in a cell with three other women, one of whom had an 11-month-old baby who cried the entire night because she was hungry and they refused to get food for the toddler."

Allegations of police brutality and criminal behavior are so widespread, urgent action needs to be taken at the highest level. Offenders need to be charged and locked up, or at the very least booted out of the police force.

The problem is a lot more pervasive than even the numerous complaints suggest. Clearly the majority of victims of police abuse do not come forward. That is why corrupt cops feel they can act with impunity.

Read
the Times Live report.